That’s THAT then.

So that’s THAT then. What? A little more detail? Oh, okay.

I went into hospital on Tuesday, at 1 o’clock.  This was purely for the benefit of the administrative staff, since I didn’t get the dreaded Preparation 1to drink until four o’clock. I *could* have gone to my one o’clock class, really. *grumble*. ANYWAY, that’s how things turned out, and my mate at uni has very kindly done some notes for me, so I haven’t really missed out on all that much.

Once the salts started to work I was glad I had a private room… and that’s about all we need to say about that, yes?  It’s not a pleasant process.

lego hazmat

Wednesday morning I had to drink another litre of the Preparation (mercy!) starting at six in the morning; and the building work started at the hospital again at about six thirty.  I’m talking about major deconstruction here – jack hammers and big diggers, right outside the room. It wasn’t restful. Somehow once the worst of the emptying was over (again) I managed to sleep – and just as well, too, since I was in for a looooooooong day: I was last on the list.  My procedure wasn’t until five thirty.

Eventually they came and got me; the anaesthetist stuck a needle in my arm and pretty much the next thing I remember is waking up in recovery.

No solid food from Tuesday lunchtime (when I’d had some clear chicken broth) and nil by mouth from Wednesday at ten o’clock (when I’d been allowed some water) – by the time I was wheeled back from recovery at about seven on Wednesday I was ready to jump off the trolley at the cafeteria and grab at any food I could get!  The nurses were very sympathetic and convinced the supper trolley lady to let me have extra bikkies, which I wolfed down with my cuppa tea; and Mr Beloved had some wicked dim sims in the microwave for me just as soon as we got home around eight thirty  –  I had four when I got home from hospital, they were the best dim sims ever. 2

I should mention that I saw the specialist before I left recovery and he had good news for me – they took some biopsies just to be sure, but everything looks normal; I don’t need to worry about gluten, and I can have a normal (for me) diet: this means I still have to deal with the things that give me Irritable Bowel Syndrome but since I’m getting better at working out what those are (NO ONIONS! NO ONION POWDER!) I can manage.  I made appointments to follow up with the specialist (in June, he’s very booked out) and the nutritionist (I see her next week, she’s very nice, I saw her when I was in hospital in January).

I’m very glad it’s all done now.  Now we know that my symptoms are “just” IBS and anxiety related, I can deal with them. We’ll see what the nutritionist says about trying food challenges with some of the foods I suspect give me problems – it’s good to be sure – but that might have to wait until after I get back from Adelaide.  (I’m going for a little holiday again, yay! to celebrate my Mum’s birthday, in April.)



  1. The brand name is Moviprep, which I think is hilarious… yes, it gets things moving, but there’s also the “I’m ready for my close up” aspect…
  2. We usually only buy them once a year as a birthday treat. We don’t buy junk food all the time,we usually shop the edge of the supermarket.